Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 51







Day 51 : Okahandja to Keetmanshoop

More progress towards the south.
We left for an easy ride to Windhoek where Mark had plans to have coffee with a friend. Being only 70 km we were there by about 8:30 and left again at 10:30, because of the supposed boring tar we chose a route out into the west towards Walvis Bay.
The riding was all sand and initially I battled to get going. I found the surface very slippery and with quite a lot of loose gravel made the going quite difficult and slow. We had planned a 450km route but after 75 km I was planning on heading back to the tar.
I was then given a quick lesson and I then managed to get my act together. It’s a very unnerving experience riding at 100km/hr plus on a gravel road with the bike doing it’s own thing underneath you. When loose sand or any thing looks uneven you then open up and go faster. Most of the time you’re standing up. All I can say is I was not thinking about coming off! Remarkably the bike does track by itself.
We have got to Keetmanshoop after 650km and have less than 1000 km to Cape Town.
I’m beginning to crave the idea of finishing. It’s been a long time away form home and whilst easy riding than perhaps I’d expected it’s still a long way. We should have ridden about 13500km which is very close to my original budget. I have to admit that I’d created a small buffer by planning the route through the Sudan over t different pages of my map book. That gave us spare mileage and time which we used in Ethiopia. Without it we’d have been a bit tight for time.
We’ll take it easy for the next 2 days, perhaps be able to watch some stages of the Tour.
We’re still on for 12 at the Radisson.

Later Jim.

1 comment:

  1. Have been following the blog and it seems as if you guys are having fun! You are pro's at fixing tyres at this stage.You must give as all a demo when your back!
    Its going to be a shock to your systems to get back to reality and work! Enjoy the last few day!! Genda

    ReplyDelete