Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 46 and 47 at Vic Falls











Day 46 and 47

Well what started as a long days ride to Vic Falls remained just that. We got away after breakfast but needed to stop for a front tyre replacement for my bike as I had found an alarmingly deep cut, through the tread, probably the result of a pot hole. We were able to find a replacement and it didn’t take too long to get it fitted.
On leaving the city Mark and Mike ran a speed trap without stopping. I duly got caught for speeding and then the usual explanation of ‘sorry no local currency and can I pay in dollars etc’ ensued. It did the trick and I got let off with a warning. Shortly thereafter I got stopped at a police block for allegedly overtaking on a solid line about 4 km back, which was true. Again I did the dollars, nil cash explanation and it worked for the 3rd time and then we were off. It looked like we had better start obeying the law.
The road down to the fall was very long, 580 km and except for the last 30km which was dirt, because of construction, very boring. Mike was delighted to be on the dirt. He had been complaining of not getting enough.
Mark tried to bargain the Royal Livingstone down to our budget. He thought that getting the rate form $800/night to $300 was enough to justify hammering the budget. Having the pay for 2 I didn’t so he headed for Fawlty Towers, I’m not kidding. It did the trick and we got a reasonable night sleep.
For our day off we had decided to go river rafting. As the river was very full, as it had been on my last trip, and knowing that the ride wouldn’t be too exciting I elected for us to swim the river, with a boogie board and fins. It ended up been very exciting just a little cold. We shot the first 3 rapids in a raft before getting in. At first the other passengers thought we were crazy but by the end were a bit jealous. We haven’t got any photos of our own but purchased a disc so they will follow.
Vic Falls was really busy, full of tourists. Zambia must have destroyed Zim’s tourist market.

No comments:

Post a Comment